Friday, April 5, 2013

Walking The Bridge

This past semester during my off-track at BYU-Idaho, I've been a part of the PEERS Connection Program for adolescents to gain confidence and independence. For 9 weeks, I was involved at the Scera Theater as part of the program. My last night was this last Wednesday and ended with a positive conclusion. The first few weeks were complicated at first, but through my willingness to open up, my weaknesses were able to improve. My chance for independence grew more likely as it did at BYU-I.

Now that I have finished my volunteer work at Clear Horizons Academy and the Scera, I will spend my time getting ready for my trip to Idaho in a few weeks. But I will also spend the time I have with my family.

Not only has college life helped me cross the bridge to independence but also working as a volunteer has. Somehow I feel like I'm still on that bridge and maybe I am. Who knows? Whether I've crossed that bridge or not, I have become independent so far and proved to myself that I can succeed in life. During my life, I have learned to accept my autism as a strength, not a weakness. It's a truth that autism is a learning disability, but what am I disabled to? I think in pictures and that's my way of learning and succeeding. In my opinion, autism is a learning disability because I can't learn things in other people's ways. I believe that God made me this way because He wants me to accept different things, places and people, even myself as different from others. Though it's still not easy for me to accept my disability, I'm willing to improve on that.

No comments: